An idea for your dinner tonight – Sweet and Sour pork! Succulent pork coated and browned and then added to an easy-to-make sauce with vegetables and pineapple. Sounds delicious, doesn`t it? Serve with steamed rice and green vegetable and dinner is ready!
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 3 tbsp unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine, dry sherry or brandy (optional)
- 1 (400 gram) pork shoulder steak, trimmed of excess fat and bones, meat cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup canned, unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- hot Asian-style sauce, to taste (optional)
- Combine the juice, ketchup, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place egg white, sesame oil and, if using, wine in a second bowl and beat to combine. Season the pork lightly with salt and then add to the egg-white mixture and toss to coat.
- Line a plate with plastic wrap or cornstarch. Spread cornstarch out on a pie plate. Now coat each piece of pork in cornstarch and set on the pate, not touching.
- Heat the 1/4 cup vegetable oil in large skillet or wok set over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the pork, in two or three batches, and cook until brown on all sides and cooked through.
- Transfer pork to a clean plate lined with paper towel.
- Clean the cooking pan. Set pan back on the heat and add the 1 Tbsp oil. When oil is very hot, add the pineapple, bell pepper, onion, green onion, garlic and ginger and stir-fry two to three minutes.
- Return the pork to the pan and add the ketchup mixture. Bring to a simmer, and simmer one to two minutes. Spoon the pork onto a serving platter or into a shallow bowl and enjoy.
- Serve with the hot sauce, if desired.